Cotton micro coil with a twist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Cotton micro coil with a twist

So, a few of us got together yesterday for lunch. One of the topics that came up was, how much a PITA it is to use cotton balls for micro coils. Hard to get it to strand, etc. Pokerplayer has a solution in using some cotton balls from Target. He says, they come stranded and are easier to pull to the right diameter for pulling through micro coils. I will be giving this a try as soon as I can get to Target. Also, the organic cotton being advertised on this forum, got me thinking about it also.

On the way home though, I was thinking of some cotton I purchased a little while back. This was before I started doing micro coils. It was a pain to wrap, because cotton is so flimsy. But it may be easier to use with a micro coil.

This is what I came up with. This is my mostly standard micro coil. 2 coils of 10 wraps on 2mm 14gauge blunt needle for a .75ohm build. The cotton used is butcher's twine.

The twine has 16 strands of cotton twisted into the twine. For my 2mm coils, I found that 8 strands folded over would pull through the micro coil without deforming the coil, but was still tight enough. I used a piece of 28 Kanthal, bent in half, to pull the twine through the micro coil. It was a little harder to stuff it in around everything, but was immensely easier to use, over all, than cotton balls. This build was done on a iGo-W. It needed new coils anyway. The picture above was taken after the 2 dripping sessions. The first session was a little harsh. 2 session was better. After that, for me anyway, it is as good as my cotton balls. I doesn't absorb quite as well as cotton balls, probably because twine is denser, but it does the job.

This is the twine I purchased. Butcher's twine is used to tie up roast and poultry. I couldn't find out if it is sterile or not, but being used on food, I figured it was probably ok. I will find out if I get some unknown disease. 370ft for about 7 dollars. It is about 3mm in diameter. Hard to measure, because it is so flimsy. You have to watch when you buy this twine, because some butcher's twine out there comes with polyester in it. I got this at Lazy Acres Market.

Give it a try, and let me know what you think.

Greg W.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Thanks for the share Greg. I def still like using the strands of cotton more than the cotton balls. It is just so easy to route to and in between where I want it to go whereas the cotton balls I would have to shape it into what I want the final product would look like. Only thing with the strands is I have to squeeze it in the coils a bit tighter(more folds) than I would with standard cotton balls to match the amount of liquid it can hold. But I love the way I can route it under to keep it out of the way for airflow and pickup liquid on the well. Im a fan of airflow on microcoils so I will def give this twine a try.
    Instagram: deedupdex
    Facebook: deedupdex
    Come check out some of my builds and say hi!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Yea, there are trade offs, like with not absorbing the same, but the hardest part of micro coils was is stranding the cotton balls.

Greg W.

Past: Maui, Present: Gardena, Future: Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    561 Post(s)
    Now you got me wondering what to try on this build.
    Origen dual 27G/10 wrap/1.4mm ID/0.45 Ohm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Nice! Trying this when i get home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pokerplayer View Post

Good. I wouldn't want you to get complacent, just about the time you got stuff figured out.

Good looking build, by the way. Sure do wish mine looked that good. I always have my connect wires, going every which way. That is why I always shows my build with the cotton already on it. It hides the connect wiring.

Hey, if twine doesn't cut it for you, cotton is easy to remove, dry burn and replace with Target balls.

Greg W.

7. Likes muzichead liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure about the cotton twine, but it just sounds like a hassle. I have been using just a piece of cotton from a regular cotton ball to make all my wicks for my 1/16" micro coils. Just pull a piece off of the cotton ball that is about 1/2" wide x 1-1 1/2" long but only 1 layer thick and then roll it up, (same as you would roll mesh for an RBA), to thread through the coil. It should slide through the coil loosely otherwise after the wick absorbs the liquid it will choke off the coil. The pic in the earlier thread from 90quattrocoupe looks like way too much wick to even come close to wicking properly. By the time the liquid gets to the coil finally, after traveling through all that wick, it has been heated up too much and will lose flavor also... I use micro/cotton set-ups in my Igo-L, Squid, and my RSST. I've never had a problem with wicking at all since I found out how to wick them properly. I am still amazed at how well it works in the RSST... Totally rocks...

btw, very good looking coils on that Origen pokerplayer...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pokerplayer View Post

Try them all!! one thing I love about micros is you can rewick and clean it like when you just built it!
    Instagram: deedupdex
    Facebook: deedupdex
    Come check out some of my builds and say hi!!