XXIX & SurfRider Mods
Page 1 of 403 123451151101 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)

XXIX & SurfRider Mods

I've been holding back on releasing the new mods until we can complete the prototypes and do some testing on our new mechanical mod offering. However, there were some questions on other threads and, while I answered them, I felt uncomfortable possibly high-jacking a thread related to another mod. So this thread is being created to answer questions about the mods and the company. Let's get to the fun part!!

Spent most of this summer designing and prototyping a new Mod design. A lot of the design is, of course, based on my preferences as a Vaper. However, I have paid a lot of attention to what others' desires (via 1-on-1 convos and forums), and building that input in and splash of innovation as well.

General info:
    Company: Bay City Vapor
    FB: Bay City Vapor
    IG: BayCityVapor
    Tube size: 22mm
    Tube thread: M20X1
    Tube sizes: 18350, 18490/500, & 18650. These are based on a full three (3) tube design.
    Battery Contact Mat'l: 101 Copper or 464 Brass.
    Top positive battery pin material: None

Materials:
    XXIX - Roman numeral 29 & atomic number for Copper (Cu). 101 Copper Tubes, Switch Housing, 510 Hybrid Top Cap, Battery Contacts, everything 101 Copper but the spring and lower battery insulator.
    SurfRider - 316 Stainless & 464 Naval Brass. Possible to mix and match. Brass battery contacts.
    Logos: BCV logo on the button, mod logo (XXIX or SurfRider) on the tube and serialized.

Here's some photos of the prototypes. Key differences in the prototypes and production version
    1) Battery tube extensions have been eliminated and we are using full tubes for each battery.
    2) Top cap is now a Hybrid style cap with a pin-less design.

XXIX full copper + K-lite

XXIX-BR Copper with Brass Switch Housing + K-lite

SurfRiders in mixed mode. Stainless & Brass

Brass SurfRider 350 Mode, Hybrid Top Cap + Omega Dripper. This is tiny. The mod itself is just over 52mm long.

Just completed the prototyping phase and we are in production!! Soon we will be performance testing with a Calivaper forum contributor.

Mods will be available as a full set of three tubes or with a single tube of your choice.

Edit: Area to post items of reference:

1. the stock springs, it's a standard McMaster Carr stocked product part number 9657K259. It's 12 springs for like $6.17. Just cut the spring in half. (http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=9657K259)
    Last edited by BayCityVaper; 02-06-2014 at 01:57 PM.

CaliVaper Elite BlakePeripherals's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I keep grabbing the pics but no mod in my hand, just my phone. What the heck man? I want them both already lol. They both look amazing with the kayfun man. So stoked!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Man, I keep liking everything about this mod more and more

1) Looks Streamlines with no "gimmiks"

2) Pin-less hybrid connection... Whats better than silver for a pin? No pin..... Love it!

3) Options: Get it how you want it!

4) Cant afford a Full set of tubes? Get only the one you want and save some cash! or Get all 3... its up to you!

5) 101 Copper nuff said! "You know what I want" hahaha

Now, if you give preference to CaliVapers users for the first production run..... you would be "THE MAN" !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I dig. TAKE MY MONIES!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlakePeripherals View Post
    I keep grabbing the pics but no mod in my hand, just my phone. What the heck man?
    I'm working on that... Just gotta make 'em right!! Quality first.

6. Likes scratchyratchy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    As you know, I'm already on order, pre-order or some type of order, for both the XXIX and the SurfRider. My idea in ordering both is to be able to mix and match between the two; full copper, full SS, copper body with SS bottom and top cap, SS body with copper bottom and top cap, etc. Truly boggles the mind with the versatility. The only thing I forgot to order was a brass bottom and top cap. Perhaps I need to fix that, warn my wife and take out a HELOC on the house. I am correct that all the tubes and caps are interchangeable? Also, please explain the function of the hybrid connection for those of us, like myself, who are not fully up to speed on this? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorthStar View Post
    Man, I keep liking everything about this mod more and more

1) Looks Streamlines with no "gimmiks"

2) Pin-less hybrid connection... Whats better than silver for a pin? No pin..... Love it!

3) Options: Get it how you want it!

4) Cant afford a Full set of tubes? Get only the one you want and save some cash! or Get all 3... its up to you!

5) 101 Copper nuff said! "You know what I want" hahaha

Now, if you give preference to CaliVapers users for the first production run..... you would be "THE MAN" !!!
    Really put a lot of "me" into this design. Simple and clean. A good device doesn't have to be flashy. One of my mentors, back in the day, was a big believer in the K.I.S.S principle when designing. Really helps to bring the cost down too.

Yah, the whole pin-less design. I really got tired of messing with those telescoping pins. I am getting a noticeable performance increase from this new design. I vape at 12mg and the TH had gone away. This brought it back!

This design was originally only to be a Copper based mod. I had everything manufactured/prototyped in Copper, Stainless, Brass, & Aluminum just to do the empirical testing. Results came out pretty well for the prototypes. Aluminum felt too cheap to market, so it got shelved. Though I found that I really liked the ability to mix and match, so WTF, just make them all!! Give some options to the consumer. In all there will be 24 different versions of the mods.

Taking more of a grass roots approach to marketing. I'm not a "hype train" kinda guy. So these will be only direct purchase for the first couple batches. Plenty for the Calivaper crew. Though I may need to cut another PO before the first batch is even outa the shop. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    i already signed up for the interest list a little while back, any idea on ETA?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BayCityVaper View Post
    I'm not a "hype train" kinda guy.
    Too late, the hype train just left the station and I'm on it All aboard!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwelborn View Post
    As you know, I'm already on order, pre-order or some type of order, for both the XXIX and the SurfRider. My idea in ordering both is to be able to mix and match between the two; full copper, full SS, copper body with SS bottom and top cap, SS body with copper bottom and top cap, etc. Truly boggles the mind with the versatility. The only thing I forgot to order was a brass bottom and top cap. Perhaps I need to fix that, warn my wife and take out a HELOC on the house. I am correct that all the tubes and caps are interchangeable? Also, please explain the function of the hybrid connection for those of us, like myself, who are not fully up to speed on this? Thanks!
    Hey JWelborn!! Thanks for the support here and on FB.

All parts are made to the same specifications for complete interchangeability. M20X1 threading on the tubes so other mfgs parts can fit as well. Here is the mod with the Paps 2.5 switch.

Sorry but this is the fun part of what I get to do!!!

The Hybrid connector: the concept of any mod is to get as much voltage and current to the Atty. Hence so many mods are going to silver pins. But why? Just get the positive pin on the atty directly in contact with the battery!! No pins to mess with, no extra metals to choke off the current. This is best used with attys that have protruding positive pins. Most good attys do have this. However, we are also making a piece to fit in the tube for attys with recessed positive pins. Don't like it, but have to do it because the designers of the attys have no standard for this.

We address the battery adjustment down at the switch. The insulator will adjust up to the battery to remove any play. The lower contact will move with this insulator to retain the 1mm throw. Adjust the firing button back out flush with the base and vape away!!