Where vaping is headed: CLONES
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CaliVaper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Where vaping is headed: CLONES

I'm sure the majority of people who browse this forum and other forums like ECF have moved beyond vaping as a means to quitting smoking. For people like us vaping has become a hobby. We, as a community have become a subculture. I'm sure we have introduced and exposed at least 1 person we know to vaping.

I started vaping 4 months ago with a ego c-twist, then moved onto a provari. Soon after I was introduced to the world of mech mods. I fell in love with RBA's and mech mods, the flavor and vapor production was beyond any of my VV devices. I had to buy one, but there was one problem, THE COST.

At the time my options were either high quality $200+ dollar mods or Chinese made mods that were sub par (sigelei, smoktech, etc). In order to achieve what I wanted I had to pay to play. For me I ended up paying to play, high end mod after mod.

Recently things have changed, products from china are not only cheap, but perform just as good or better than the original mods that they're based off of. Look at the FOR SALE forums and you can see how many people are interested in these clones.

Many people hate clones, I can understand that since these clones have even copied the logos. But lets look at the big picture and why the clone market is flourishing:

1. The more accessible the mod is the more people are willing to join the community. More people vaping=more support.

2. If local shops carry and sell clones they have a much higher profit margin than selling the real deal. Many shops sell the high end mods at cost just to draw customers into the store, but there is no profit margin. Without profit your favorite local shop will go out of business.

3. The original mods will still be worth money, your chi, nemmy, etc will still be worth money cause its the ORIGINAL. The clones only hurt the grey market not original MSRP.

4. The market is where it's at right now is due to the fact that mod makers are inflating demand by not providing enough supply. They have no one to blame but themselves. Mech mods are just tubes, they are not aerospace parts that are difficult to manufacture.

5. I suspect certain mods are now outsourced to china for greater profit margin for the mod maker. When you outsource to china expect your product to be copied, this is a fact.

TL DR: clones are good for the community, why clones are flourishing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    You think exactly the way I do. Sorry, I'm not willing to spend $200+ on a flashlight that has a serial number or logo to boast about. I want a mod that I don't have to watch over whether it's at risk of damage or theft.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Agreed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Definitely Agreed. Even some of the non-direct clones (smok magneto is basically a clone of the Nzonic) are great too. I run a magneto just fine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yungorca View Post
    Definitely Agreed. Even some of the non-direct clones (smok magneto is basically a clone of the Nzonic) are great too. I run a magneto just fine
    Dude, how is the Magneto? I'm about to order one and I'm curious about an opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I totally agree. My chi_you clone hits way harder than my "original" Nzonic, so now my clone is my daily and my Nzonic is on the shelf

CaliVaper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I agree that clones are close to original and make something that fires well available to the public. I don't have extensive experience with a clone other than a chi clone. Well, I give props to the chi clone for being pretty darn good for $40. But for anyone to tell me it is equal to or better than the original is still out of their minds.

Now, I haven't recieved the original chi yet (on pre-order) to truly compare, but in comparison to my neme and king, the clone isn't in the same class. I'm not trying to rationalize my originals and the price I paid b/c I will be using that clone and think it is a suitable beater. (btw I buy retail or a fair price, but for those dolphins with super natural f5 capabilities and/or prey on the noobs, GFYS)

There is a place for clones and originals, it's business in the 21st century from every company and for darn near every product. The debate of what is better is pointless, as there are other things that factor into an individual's decision to purchase. If you can get by on a well performing clone, fine. If you have the buying power to purchase a high end original for retail or fair price or whatever price you're willing, fine...bottom line, the fit finish and performance of a handful of originals are going to be superior. How much more? The technical measurement of performance will tell the story, but the more personal reasons people make buying decisions is the end all be all. and your reasons aren't my business...I'm not for or against clones/originals, I'm for what works and works well...
    ...VAPING & SMOKE FREE...
    Brass king..kalafan/aluminum nemesis..SS chi..Surfrider Brass & SS..Sentinel..JM22..provari..wicked wood mods dual 18650..Black Copper Stingray...Turtleship V2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    To each his own. I don't have a problem with clones. I do however have a problem with clones that has the same name and the same logos printed on the mod. These manufacturers put their heart and soul into making a great product for us just to have them ripped off. I personally own a couple of "clones" which I bring with me whenever I don't feel comfortable bringing my other higher end mods. They do however hit just as hard as some of the higher end mods. But I fully support the fact that everyone can vape on any type of budget.

9. Likes windnsea26 liked this post
    CaliVaper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I agree with the OP. For ppl on a budget, this helps the mech mod community expand and grow larger as a whole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is a toughy for me because I work in an industry that is being destroyed due to China's insanely cheap prices. LUCKILY for us, their quality is NOTHING like ours, so we do keep some work in our shops. However, with something as basic as Mechanical Mods, I can see the Chinese matching, or at least coming damn close to the quality that we produce here.

I build plastic injection molds. We often have to hold tolerances as low as .0001". A lot of parts we make molds for are for the medical industry and nobody can afford a crappy made device that hooks onto a robot that performs a surgery that can make or break someones life.

With that being said, making a SS flashlight (like the above poster said) with a CNC Lathe, and a thread grinder is a whole different ball game. The tolerances are wide open for the most part. As long as these guys are sharpening their cutters every so often, it's pretty hard to produce a crappy quality Mechanical mod (though, it is possible).

Another thing, the Americans are jacking the price up just bc the "Made in USA" logo as well. Not to say the operators/machinist/equipment isn't better/more expensive that what China has, but man... $200+ is flat out robbery. I haven't bought a US made mod yet, I may do it if I find something that really wow's me, but I have had nothing but success with my SmokTech and iTaste mods. I will have a You Chi clone in my hand tomorrow and I will give feedback on that as well. From what I have heard, the damn thing is a monster. In fact some say it hits harder than the real deal, which is probably a stretch, but I believe it probably hits every bit as good as the real deal yet you can buy 4 for the price of 1.

Either the guys in the states making these things need to reason a bit with the pricing, or this industry too, will be destroyed by China.