Review: Real Chi you vs Fake Chi you (How to spot the difference)
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    CaliVaper

Real Chi you vs Fake Chi you (How to spot the difference)

I picked up my fake chi you tonight from the GB going on in the forums. I will note the similarities and differences between the fake chi and the real chi.

BRASS CHI IS REAL SS Chi is fake

SIMILARITIES starting with the obvious
    1. The Mojo lion logo is spot on copy, same with the Korean characters on the back
    2. The bottom button logo is also dead on
    3. The 2 positive contacts on top are the same as the real Chi and can be interchanged between the real chi and fake chi
    4. The adjustable negative brass post are the same between the real and fake. They are interchangeable.
    5. The 18650 and 18490 tubes are interchangeable between real chi and fake chi

DIFFERENCES STARTING WITH THE OBVIOUS

1. Look at the serial number above. The real chi uses block style fonts for the numbers. The fake Chi uses regular rounded fonts. Perfect example is the "3" as this number is seen on the fake and the real.
    2. The airflow control ring and locking ring on the fake is made of aluminum. At glance you won't be able to tell the difference, but when you hold it it's obvious.
    3. The threading on the fake chi is not nearly as smooth as the real chi.
    4. The 18650 and 18490 extension tubes are a bit wider than the rest of the body. By this I mean the outer diameter.
    5. The firing button button is not as smooth as the real chi
    6. When locking the mod with the lock ring the firing button will still have a bit of "play" unless screwed on real tight, this is due to the use of aluminum locking ring and sloppy craftsmanship compared to the real chi.

CONCLUSION
    The clone is a damn good mod for $45. It hits just like the real Chi IMO, I have no numbers to back it up as I don't have the tools, but it feels the same. For a clone the quality is top notch especially from China.

I bought this mod just so I can drop it, scratch it, and torch it and not care. Many people are very upset about clones. I can see where they are coming from since vape noobs will probably get ripped off and the clone makers are profiting off the hard work of legit modders. There are rumors that the chi clones are going to change the serial number font to match the real chi, I made this post to help inform people so they don't get ripped off.

CaliVaper Elite
    Thanks for the write-up. It helps people know if they were going to buy a Chi the things to look for and not get ripped off.
    Especially the note about the serial # font. Thats good for people whom are planning to purchase their Chi via Vape Mail and only have pictures as reference. Since they can't feel the tubes and the locking ring in person, the serial font is a dead give away.

What about engravings..do they feel stamped on or laser engraved like the real chi..this is going to make it hard for someone to sell there chis on classy..i woulnt get one off classies now that these clones are flooding the market...wish mojo would send out authentifaction certs...but then those can be easily copied as well...

CaliVaper
    Quote Originally Posted by jkim5708 View Post
    What about engravings..do they feel stamped on or laser engraved like the real chi..this is going to make it hard for someone to sell there chis on classy..i woulnt get one off classies now that these clones are flooding the market...wish mojo would send out authentifaction certs...but then those can be easily copied as well...
    Unfortunately the texture of all the logos on the fake feel very similar than the real one. To me the dead give away is the rings which are made of aluminum. I suspect they used aluminum on the fakes to reduce cost. What will be interesting will be the fake brass ones, not sure if the fakes will use all brass or cut corners.

The scariest part about all this is this: ask yourself why would you spend 200+ dollars on the real thing when the clone looks, feels, and performs as the same?

CaliVaper
    Do the rings on the fake chi fit on the real chi?

CaliVaper
    Quote Originally Posted by b_munky View Post
    Do the rings on the fake chi fit on the real chi?
    according to the guy that set up the GB, yes, the fake chi rings fit on the real chi.

Quote Originally Posted by Chakachaka View Post
    The scariest part about all this is this: ask yourself why would you spend 200+ dollars on the real thing when the clone looks, feels, and performs as the same?
    That's the million dollar question.

Keep Calm, Vape on.

I got mine last night and all i can say it this thing is spot on..

Unfortunately the texture of all the logos on the fake feel very similar than the real one. To me the dead give away is the rings which are made of aluminum. I suspect they used aluminum on the fakes to reduce cost. What will be interesting will be the fake brass ones, not sure if the fakes will use all brass or cut corners.

Its similar to fake purses...trust me my wife has a fake LVpurse that is sooooo real...but she still wants the R EAL one...

Well i believe the new run will have new engravings. So it does suck for all the current owners of the chi. Also, if you ever buy nice things its always nice to have the real thing. I would never rock a fake lv or gucci wallet no matter how real it looked. This clone will be nice to take outside the house and not have worry about dropping or scratching it.

Thanks for the review btw.