Pros and Cons

Thread: Pros and Cons

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pros and Cons

What are the pros and cons over VV, VW and Mechanical?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Mechanicals don't have any electronics in them, so there's really nothing to break. the way they work is, the button completes the circuit to provide power to the atomizer -- The advantage to this is minimal or no power loss to the atomizer, and no electrical nannies telling you what you can and can't do. A lot of the VV/VW mods have an amp limit (usually between 2-3.5A), so you can't toss an ultra low-resistance coil or atomizer on there (anything under maybe 1.1-1.2ohms) without it freaking out and saying you're drawing too much power. A disadvantage is that since there's no boost circuitry in a mech. mod, your voltage is dictated by whatever the battery is capable of putting out -- batteries should come fresh off the charger around 4.2v, and as they run down and get discharged, so does the voltage going to the atty, and so, your vape changes as the battery runs down, and depending on the voltage drop of whatever mech. mod you're running, you may not have a good experience once the voltage starts dropping. Mechanicals are usually more for people who either like tinkering with their stuff, or advanced vapers that already know what they like.

Variable Voltage (VV) mods have electronics in them that allow you to vary the power going to the atty. Advantage of this, obviously, is that your experience is going to be fairly consistent from the first vape to the last, before you need to recharge your battery. Disadvantages to this, obviously, as I mentioned, depending on the device, you can only draw so much current (amps) before the thing won't let you. Depends on what the amp cutoff is of the device. Another disadvantage obviously, is, just like with cars, anytime there's electronics involved, something can go bad/go wrong. A good VV device like the provari, though has great customer support and they're built really well, so there aren't too many reports of units going bad quickly. Another minor quirk, is depending on the quality/accuracy of the electronics, the device may or may not deliver more or less power than you have dialed in. The Provari has been tested to be super-accurate, and even under load, delivers the amount of power you dial in, down to something like .01v. One last thing, is that, because it's VW-only, depending on what resistance atomizer/cartomizer you have on there, you may have to constantly fiddle with the voltage to get the vape you want.

Variable Wattage (VW) mods also have electronics in them that allow you to vary your power (watts). The advantage to VW is it's basically "set and forget". Using Ohm's Law:

Watts = Voltage2/Resistance (ohms)

Because watts is really what dictates the power/heat of your vape. It's "Set and Forget" because once you find out what wattage you like to vape at (most people like between 7-9W), you set it on the device, and it doesnt matter what atomizer/cartomizer you toss on the end of it, because the electronics will do all the math for you, and adjust the voltage accordingly. This differs from VV mods, because with a VV, you have to adjust your voltage manually to get the vape/experience you want. Some mods like the eVic and VAMO are both VV and VW, and are great devices to get you started. again, the disadvantages are the electronics; there's always a possibility something can go wrong, or, depending on the efficiency/accuracy of the circuitry, the device might actually deliver more or less power than you're dialing in.

probably some other minor things i'm missing, but that's the gist. I'll edit this post or add more later if I think of anything, or maybe other people can come in here

3. Thanks lectroblez, Oolong thanked for this post
    Likes lectroblez, intovapor_justin, Oolong liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Variable wattage seems to be the easiest for beginners because you can just set and forget it. Great post btw

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply Cicada, I currently have a ZMax and an MVP, I was looking into mechanicals to see if it was worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Depends entirely on what you want to do. If you are a carto /clearo person than VV/VW is in my opinion the only way to go. Once you start getting into rebuildable atomozers then you may want to bridge out into mechanical mods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I picked up an AGA T plus yesterday, so I guess I need to get a mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by ErroR View Post
    Depends entirely on what you want to do. If you are a carto /clearo person than VV/VW is in my opinion the only way to go. Once you start getting into rebuildable atomozers then you may want to bridge out into mechanical mods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Might be a good idea. I will be posting my EA mod in the classified section soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ErroR View Post
    Might be a good idea. I will be posting my EA mod in the classified section soon.
    But I haven't had the chance to test it yet!