PDA

View Full Version : cotton wick

thorwoody
02-03-2014, 08:44 PM
I am trying to switch to cotton for my dripper. I went to Walmart and bought white cloud 100% pure cotton. Do I have to boil them first before I use them or can I just use them right out of the bag... if I have to boil them how long do I have to boil them...

cynik6
02-03-2014, 09:03 PM
I'm not sure how long you should boil it, but it definitely has to be done. Anything not labeled organic probably should be boiled. I buy organic cotton balls from CVS. Super cheap, no boiling and work great. 100 cotton balls will last you forever. I'm pretty liberal with how much waste I have from my wicks, so I get about 8 wicks from 1 cotton ball. Some are saying you can get like 12+, not sure how true that is though; haven't tried.

s3xy_burrito
02-03-2014, 09:34 PM
Totally agree on organic cotton. They don't give off a strange initial taste when you first use it. I've tried boiling non organic first, but not the same results as organic cotton.

thorwoody
02-03-2014, 10:29 PM
I was looking at the organic cotton balls but it said that they were whitened with hydrogen peroxide. So I wasn't sure if it was safe to use them as wicks or not

nosaj03
02-04-2014, 04:25 AM
I use the organic cotton balls from Whole Foods. I boiled them for 15 mins in distilled water, rinsed with distilled water and then boiled again for another 15 mins in distilled water. I let them air dry for however long it takes. I do the same with organic cotton yarn.

90quattrocoupe
02-04-2014, 08:24 AM
I use rolled cotton balls from Target. Not organic and I don't boil it. I use it straight out of the pack. I get no taste, or maybe I do, or maybe I just like the taste of bleached cotton balls.
pokerplayer is the one who introduced me to them. They roll out and are easier to use than clumped cotton balls. All my friends use the same ones.

I also use cotton butcher's twine. I don't boil it either.

Greg W.

thorwoody
02-04-2014, 10:18 AM
So it's kinda my choice if I wanna boil them or not

euro_nut
02-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Organic cotton from cvs in the green bag. Works great and is easy to rollout.

#kayfungang

dphu626
02-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Try it without boiling it first. If it tastes funny to you, then boil. If boiling it doesn't help, well GG my friend.

thorwoody
02-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Alright I will try first without boiling... to see how it taste

thorwoody
02-04-2014, 11:21 AM
What does the boiling even do to the cotton balls

dphu626
02-04-2014, 11:26 AM
What does the boiling even do to the cotton balls

Supposedly, cotton has a weird taste to it so people boil it to get rid of the weird taste. I've never experienced this weird taste, and I know a few other on here haven' either.

thorwoody
02-04-2014, 11:31 AM
Oh So u really don't have to boil it, unless you get a weird taste out of it.

thorwoody
02-04-2014, 01:08 PM
I have a question it's off topic but for the wire... could you use welding wire or no

norcrawler
02-04-2014, 01:40 PM
I have a question it's off topic but for the wire... could you use welding wire or no

WTF. NO. go buy some kanthal from a shop...

thorwoody
02-04-2014, 02:09 PM
I have kanthal already, but my dad said something about it So I was just wondering

xlionheart1992x
02-04-2014, 07:16 PM
Just to be safe, boil it. I use peaches&cream cotton yarn on mine and it works wonders I don't boil mine because I haven't seemed to have to and I've been using it for quite awhile.

Vape It Forward (VIF)

xlionheart1992x
02-04-2014, 07:16 PM
Cotton yarn is also very easy to wick up.

Vape It Forward (VIF)

thorwoody
02-05-2014, 02:58 AM
Alright.. Thanks for the help. I might have to try the cotton yarn.

seandom29
02-05-2014, 08:59 AM
i boil mine 4 times 15 minutes each then replace the water. excessive maybe but who cares. lol

seandom29
02-05-2014, 09:01 AM

:poke::facepalm::coffee:

Rapture
02-05-2014, 10:18 AM
I use the peaches and cream from walmart. I usually boil a good amount and let it dry and then spool it around an empty wire spool. I only boil it once for about 10 minutes. It helps it soak in juice better too. There have been times when I have rebuilt without boiling. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/06/abe6upuh.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silencei2
02-05-2014, 12:41 PM
I use the peaches and cream from walmart. I usually boil a good amount and let it dry and then spool it around an empty wire spool. I only boil it once for about 10 minutes. It helps it soak in juice better too. There have been times when I have rebuilt without boiling.

I know this will come down to personal preference but in regards to wicking your micro coil with the cotton yarn do you just use a single strand of it? I've been unrolling cotton balls, separating it out and guessing the right thickness/density of the cotton to roll up and wick through the coil. It would be great to find something that is consistent every time.

GodOfThunder
02-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Depends on the size of your coils and the number of strands in the yarn. For my micro coils, I has to remove one stand of yarn (4 total).

Vaping and using Tapatalk

Silencei2
02-05-2014, 01:13 PM
Thanks! I guess the more appropriate question is are the strands in the yarn of Peaches and Cream the right density to just do as you said and add or remove strands to fit in the coil and go. No need to fluff or unfluff the strands of yarn.

JasonV
02-05-2014, 02:09 PM
For those who boil. It only takes 3 minutes to sterilize anything.

GodOfThunder
02-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Silencei2...Let me give a little background...to date, I've only rebuilt Kanger atomizers like the evod, ProTank II, and ProTank mini...(thanks RIP!). I believe I've rebuilt 5-7 of them, bringing them down to around 1.5 to be able to use on my Vamo V5 or eGo-C. At first I used cotton balls, and they worked fine. Then I started reading about vapers using P&C yarn from WalMart, so I thought I'd give it a try...and they worked good, like the cotton balls. So far, from the rebuilds I've done with cotton, I've been able to change the wick to the yarn pretty easy.

Now, to answer your question...if you're unable to thread the yarn "as-is" through your coils, remove one strand. If you need to, remove another strand. Keep in mind, when you go to thread your yarn through your coil, I still twisted the yarn to compact it some...just to start it through the coil. Once through the coil, I return it to its original form...it should have minimal resistance sliding back and forth in your coil, but it should have that resistance...letting you know it's touching all inner surface area of your coil.

I hope I've been able to help.

(on a side note, I just received my vapemail from "slowasfuctech" in China....I'm now the proud owner of a Nemmy clone, and Igo-W clone...as soon as I can gain access to a drill to bore out a second hole for dual coils....dddaaaaammmmnnnn!!)

Silencei2
02-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Thanks! Really appreciate the input, I've been using cotton balls/wicks for the past couple of months as well and have been experimenting with creating the "perfect" wick based on overall diameter of the wick and density of the compacted cotton as well as build inside the Kayfun.

I just picked up some P&C yarn tonight and finished boiling it. Can't wait to give it a try.

thorwoody
02-06-2014, 01:33 AM
Thanks for all the information guys... I wanted to try the kayfun and now I might with all this information

thorwoody
02-06-2014, 03:24 AM
Is it gonna make a difference that I am building this on a Trident clone...

GodOfThunder
02-06-2014, 03:45 AM
Is it gonna make a difference that I am building this on a Trident clone...

why would it? Just be mindful of safety, as far as ohms and batteries. Otherwise, build it...they will come!

thorwoody
02-06-2014, 06:06 PM
I went out and got the organic cotton today. I put it in my dripper with sucker punch. I really can't taste anything in the cotton at all..

thorwoody
02-06-2014, 06:06 PM
I didn't boil it though

Rapture
02-06-2014, 08:55 PM
I know this will come down to personal preference but in regards to wicking your micro coil with the cotton yarn do you just use a single strand of it? I've been unrolling cotton balls, separating it out and guessing the right thickness/density of the cotton to roll up and wick through the coil. It would be great to find something that is consistent every time.

Yes I cut the same size yarn everytime. I cut off one wrap off my spool, the rubber band around it helps me judge that. I the fold it in half, then fold it in half, and then fold it in half again. In thread it through the coil with a wire. I use the same screw driver every time to make my coils. The results of my builds are always the same and consistent.

26 gauge 3 wrap dual - .2
26 gauge 4 wrap dual - .3

Don't really like 28 gauge personally. My coils are pretty big though too

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/07/usynu9em.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/07/e8yqapa9.jpg

thorwoody
02-07-2014, 06:40 AM
Do any of you braid the wire together or no

Rapture
02-07-2014, 09:15 AM
Haven't tried that. And I too have also been wanting to try a kayfun or Russian. My the genesis style didn't work well for me with cotton

thorwoody
02-07-2014, 10:44 AM
That's how I make mine just one coil. But u braid the wire together works really nice..

Rapture
02-07-2014, 10:37 PM
yes when i build single coils i twist 26 or 28 gauge wire together with a drill and pliers. It basically cuts the resistance of what a single strand would normally be by twisting it with 2.

Shatzen
02-07-2014, 11:52 PM
Organic cotton is all i would ever use. Its going to take me a while to go through this bag and for ~$4 you can't beat it

Rapture
02-08-2014, 12:01 AM
Where can you buy fat organtic cotton yarn. Like the peaches and cream but organtic